by Lisa Beck and Aparna Khanolkar
|image from One Powerful Word|
Do you desire more peace, ease and grace in your life?
Do you ever find yourself saying (or thinking) one or more of the following:
"I need a vacation."
"I'm so tired."
"I really need to meditate more."
"I need a break."
"Calgon, take me away!"
The easiest, yet most difficult gift we can give ourselves is solitude.
This is the KEY towards greater self-love + peace in your life. A gift that you can give yourself daily, weekly, monthly.
Yet we feel guilty or self-centered sometimes if we take time out for us. This is where we make it difficult on ourselves. And some of us are afraid of the silence...afraid of the feelings that may come up and the emptiness that we might experience.
Rid yourself of this guilt and fear. Give yourself permission to take care of you, and enjoy the solitude. And if it seems too difficult, just do it anyway. Give it a try.
Solitude is your solace.
When you spend time alone, you are communing with the Universe. In the deep silence that comes with solitude, you begin to have glimpses of your connection to Nature, to the laws of Nature and your own place in this Universe.
Taking a pause in your daily life for solitude is a precious gift to yourself. Solitude allows you to reflect on your patterns. It gives you a chance to decide on the choice you will make with your karmic pattern.
Your inner silence brings your closer to Nature. Your eyes can rest and your ears can listen for messages from your inner Guru. The eyes project and the ears perceive. We are all exhausted from projection. Solitude gives us a respite. It ensure rest and rejuvenation.
Here are some ways to encourage solitude:
1. Go on hikes or walks alone. Or make a pact with a friend or your partner to hike in silence. Listen for the sounds of Nature.
2. Spend time doing nothing for 15 minutes today. Despite the urge to get busy with an activity or chore, be still. This is not meditation. This is just taking a pause. Notice how the rest of your day feels.
3. Reading, eating, listening to music in solitude are all good ways to reconnect with yourself. Spending time with yourself is a necessary task. Make it a date. Schedule it. Your relationship with you is the most important one you will ever cultivate.
4. Schedule a gentle activity at night before bed, to quiet your mind and slow you down. 15 min is enough. Give yourself a foot massage. Soak in the bathtub. Write in your journal. Lie on your bed and feel deep gratitude for your day and your life. You will sleep more soundly and feel at peace.
5. Visit a museum, library, or art gallery alone and practice mindfulness. Walk slowly and connect to your breath. Use all of your senses as you take in everything.
Create rituals that support your peace of mind. Find beauty, magic and power in the silence.
It is here where beauty is.
It is here where love is.
Connect to it and be transformed.